As if it wasn't enough to be Primary President, I am also PTA President-Elect. Yes, I am trying to take over the world, starting with the kids...
Today I have a meeting--or, more appropriately an ambush--by the State PTA President, the District PTA President, a representative of the State PTA, the School District Supervisor, the Principal and the current PTA president. They want to pressure us into changing our plans to form a PTO. They have hounded the poor school PTA president for DAYS. She's about ready to pull her hair out.
I am kind of excited for the "confrontation." I figure I haven't done anything wrong. I don't have an agenda. I was approached by parents AND faculty who suggested the change and I have had nothing but positive feedback about it. THEY are the ones with the problem. I plan on being calm and non-confrontational. My only concern is the Principal has had a ton of pressure put on her to talk us out of the change by the district. My question is why is the district involved? It seems like such a conflict of interest to have the district so invested in the PTA. Of course I know WHY they are so invested... The PTA had pumped millions of $$ into lobbying in behalf of the district. When is the PTA going to spend $$ on lobbying in be half of the parents? Just last week the PTA spent MY PTA money fighting the bill to require the district to allow open enrollment. They didn't ask me if I wanted or didn't want open enrollment, they just spent my money on what the district wanted. And the national is even worse. They have sponsored a scholarship for gay and lesbian students. Where is the scholarship for heterosexual students? It's my money! I support scholarships but not ones based on sexual preference. Why not a scholarship based on color preference? crunchy or smooth peanut butter preference? Whatever!
Anyway, I have THAT to look forward to today!
Today I have a meeting--or, more appropriately an ambush--by the State PTA President, the District PTA President, a representative of the State PTA, the School District Supervisor, the Principal and the current PTA president. They want to pressure us into changing our plans to form a PTO. They have hounded the poor school PTA president for DAYS. She's about ready to pull her hair out.
I am kind of excited for the "confrontation." I figure I haven't done anything wrong. I don't have an agenda. I was approached by parents AND faculty who suggested the change and I have had nothing but positive feedback about it. THEY are the ones with the problem. I plan on being calm and non-confrontational. My only concern is the Principal has had a ton of pressure put on her to talk us out of the change by the district. My question is why is the district involved? It seems like such a conflict of interest to have the district so invested in the PTA. Of course I know WHY they are so invested... The PTA had pumped millions of $$ into lobbying in behalf of the district. When is the PTA going to spend $$ on lobbying in be half of the parents? Just last week the PTA spent MY PTA money fighting the bill to require the district to allow open enrollment. They didn't ask me if I wanted or didn't want open enrollment, they just spent my money on what the district wanted. And the national is even worse. They have sponsored a scholarship for gay and lesbian students. Where is the scholarship for heterosexual students? It's my money! I support scholarships but not ones based on sexual preference. Why not a scholarship based on color preference? crunchy or smooth peanut butter preference? Whatever!
Anyway, I have THAT to look forward to today!




3 comments:
Good luck with the "ambush" - let me know what I can do to help on the home front while you are busy "taking over the world"! It's nice to know some people are so willing to help do what's good for the kids!!!
oh my how did it go ? I would have suggested getting the principals pulse before going into the meeting
sounds like you are super busy... I so remember those days. But they are happy ones. Enjoy each day. You are a great person.
Post a Comment