Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sister Fun

I went on a fun hike with elle_cossette yesterday. She took me to her Rivendale. It was beautiful. We had fun trying to figure out our new cameras. So here's another before and after ad nauseum picture post :)

This is an interesting arched tree... I think it had broken but it looks like it grew this way. The first picture is way too dark but I liked the frame of the heavier limb in the top left corner, as well as the shape of the arched trees. And, I was trying to use the "shapes" technique, as well as the "rule of thirds" that elle and I learned at our photo class at Inkley's this week.
Before:













































After:














































Again, the canyon where we were hiking was very dark for that time of day (11 a.m.) so the first picture is very dark but I wanted the sunrise over the crest of the hill.

Before:













































In order to get any detail, I had to kind of wash out the picture. Someday when I learn photoshop better, I am going to come back to this and make it look right because I think it could be very interesting.
After:














































The canyon was very chilly, to say the least. I was fascinated by the frost on the leaves.
Before:




















Just by upping the light, the colors really popped.
After:





















My big project was to get the water to look soft, which takes a slow shutter speed. But without knowing what we were doing, we took a lot of pictures. Then elle got a shot that worked. I coppied the settings and started to have some success. It would have been better with a tripod, of course, but this is good enough for this trip. Besides, I'm not sure I'm up to a hike with a tripod yet :)
Before:





















After:

2 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

cottony water I see but... I LOVE the frosty leaF much prettier than mine and I like it unlightened

shauna said...

Ok - I don't usually leave comments on blogs I don't know but I HAVE to on yours.

First off - I found you through the comments on Pioneer Woman cooks. I was looking for my entry for that mixer to make sure it was there. I found a Shauna (spelled the right way even!) but the entry was a little different from mine. I called it pumpkin roll and you called it pumpkin log. Basically the same thing though. (I never did find my entry by the way...)

I clicked on your blog link and saw that you want to be an English teacher. That made me chuckle since I majored in English at university and have considered going back to get my education degree so I can teach English. (However, it will have to wait until my kids are all grown up...I only have half of your 6 pack.) I then clicked on your profile and saw that many of your favorite books and movies are ones I enjoy as well.

I decided it was getting a little too "Twilight Zone" so here I am telling you about it. You are likely now going to block me or something but I just found it a little odd that we have the same name, like the same thing in our comments on PWC, have aspirations in the English department and enjoy the same books/movies.

Are you my long lost sister??

Shauna
tssalmon (at) telus.net