Sunday, July 19, 2009

Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House

On Friday I took the girls to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House. I learned from the movie they showed before the open house that the word oquirrh was an Indian word meaning light. Oquirrh Mountains were perhaps named because of the way the morning light hits them.



It was a much different experience than when we went to the Draper Temple Open House in January.

First, it was WAY more crowded, and thus far less reverent. We were shoulder to shoulder, the whole way through the temple. It was so crowded that they didn't let us stop as we made our way from room to room. But it is a lovely place and the spirit there is strong. I keep stressing to my children what a blessing it is to be able to have so many temples so close and to not get jaded to the experience because we've had TWO open houses in less than a year. This really is a rare opportunity.




I mention the crowding not to complain about it, but rather to remark that the temple is full, a very good thing. It is wonderful that at 10:30 in the morning on a Friday, there were enough people interested in seeing the temple that it was full to capacity.