Monday, September 22, 2008

Have you done it, cont...

16. Gone to a huge sports game: BYU BYU BYU BYU. I actually stopped going to games because they started throwing tortillas at games and I hated being beaned by food products. When we lived in TX, we often went to the Texas Rangers baseball games. It was a blast. I totally get why hansolo loves baseball. When it's live, it's amazingly fun. We also have had the opportunity to attend a few Jazz games. L-3 Comm has a VIP box that they share with their employees. We usually go to one a year. It's fun, but mostly because they feed you amazingly delicious food for the entire game. We leave, sick with our gluttony.
17. Walked the stairs to the top of the Statue of Liberty: when I visited the Staute of Liberty, we were in a hurry to get back to the Mother of the Year convention and I didn't have time to do the hike. Now that it is closed (stupid terrorists), I am extremely sad I didn't take that opportunity.
18. Grown and eaten your own vegetables: Being a farmer's daughter, I have done this all my life. I've got some in my garden right now. What would you like? Tomatoes, zucchini or egg plant? Peppers? Herbs? I've even got some peaches. Actually, I've got tons of them all so come on over!
19. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope: My parents had a telescope so yeah, I've done this. Actually I spent more time looking across the valley at my BFF Karen Ann's house while we talked to each other on the phone. I often wonder what has become of her. I've lost touch with too many friends.
20. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment: Always.
21. Had a pillow fight
: I have 5 daughters so yeah, of course I've done this.
22. Bet on a winning horse: I actually have bet on winning dogs more than horses. In high school I took a debate trip to ASU. On the way we stopped for a few hours in Vegas. My debate coach was a big dog race better and he took us there. He placed the bets for us (I think it was $1) and we won enough to buy hamburgers. He gave us his racing tip, "If the dog poops before the race, bet on him. He's not all backed up so he can run faster." Well, in my ONE time, that advice proved to be valuable. We stopped in Vegas on the way back, too, and again, without enough money to eat, we tried the nickle slots and won enough to go to McDonalds. Not a good gambling story, I'm afraid.
23. Taken a sick day when you're not ill: I am ashamed to admit I've done this. I was young and in love...
24. Built a snow fort: again, I live in UTAH. Who hasn't done this? The best snow-thing I've built was a huge luge run from the front door of our current home, down the yard and off the retaining wall. It was awesome. We built that in 2002 (I think!). We had a huge snowstorm that started on New Years Day and lasted for a few days and we had a ton of snow.
25. Held a lamb
: Petted at the State Fair, but not held it
26. Gone skinny dipping: No way and no desire!
27. Taken an ice cold bath: 6 kids and a small water heater? It is a daily gamble.
28. Had a meaningful conversation with a beggar: As meaningful as could be, I suppose. I used to work in SLC at a telemarketing place and there would be panhandlers on every street corner. We would go out and give them pocket change during our breaks. What interesting people they were. Sometimes they were just down on their luck, but sometimes they were out of their minds.
29. Seen a total eclipse: February 26th, 1979 in Pasco, WA. We made pinhole viewers in my Gifted and Talented class. The whole school went out on the playground to watch it. I remember it getting dark and spooky and a hush falling over the kids as the eclips reached totality. We watched it's progress through the pinhole on the pavement. Then the principal signaled it was okay to look at the sun... All I can say is FREAKY. Then we noticed the beads of light around the edge of the shadow, signalling the end of totality. I remember being freaked out because we had been drilled that it was EXTREMELY dangerous to look at the sun at this time because we would be BLINDED. We started screaming to the Principal that she needed to have everyone look away and she and the teachers started yelling at us to look down. We all thought we were going to be blind. The length of the eclipse had been mis-calculated. But we all survived and have a story to tell now. The next one is in 2017.

No comments: