Friday, April 11, 2008

N has braces

Scout survived getting her braces on last week--barely. You would have thought she was going to die of malnutrition before the pain subsided, the way she carried on. Poor thing... she had them a few years ago and thought she was done but beauty was not to be an easy path for her. It's not a cheap path, either.

Apparently someone forgot to mention to me that I have abnormally large teeth and Dilbert's family has abnormally narrow lower jaws. The genetic combination has made a brood of kid that are smart and but have teeth sticking out the front of their faces. Attractive.

Anyway, there is a 20% chance the braces will not work for Scout and she may have to have her jaw broken. She's trying to be the optimist. Me too...

So N got her braces on yesterday. She's got an expander and braces on the top and will get the lower expander and braces on the bottom in 2 months. She can't talk and she can't eat... It's pretty pitiful, to say the least. But my food bill will go down!

I had a presidency meeting this morning. I came home discouraged because I have 8 callings unfilled and there's not a lot of hope on the horizon. I have had to find multiple substitutes EVERY week! Now I hear (unofficially but reliably) that there will be a letter from church headquarters soon saying that every class needs to be team-taught, not just the classes with male teachers. Sigh... It's just more staffing issues... I don't think anyone who hasn't been in the Primary presidency understands the staffing problems in Primary. No other organization has as many positions to fill and it is a constant battle. Many people just "refuse" to serve there (they've apparently served their time in Primary? Like it is a sentence?) or they don't have cubs so they don't "have" to do it anymore... It seems to be the dumping ground for people who are only half-heartedly active. And then there are the ones who accept the call but then never do the job. I have had 2 Activity Days leaders do that! How can you say yes to a call and then just NOT do it --ever! Okay... I am done whining.

Recipe of the day: Fish Tacos Yummy! Try it! Mahi Mahi was $5 and some change at Costco and the portions were way generous.

No comments: