Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sheryl Young's Chocolate Chip Cookies

About 6 months ago Sheryl Young printed a chocolate chip cookie recipe in her column in the Deseret News. I decided to give them a try but as I was whipping them up, I realized she hadn't included any "fat" in her recipe. I sent her an e-mail through the newspaper asking the proper amount of shortening. In the meantime, I guessed at how much shortening to add. They are wonderful and turn out looking fabulous... They have become our family's favorite cookie (besides the Post-natal Pumpkin Cookies that my mom made for me after the birth of my babies). Anyway, fast-forward 6 months... I got an e-mail from her today with the shortening listed. 6 months!!! I am glad to say I did estimate the amount right because that is a long time to make bad cookies. So here's the correct recipe. I hope you enjoy it, too. BTW... she recommended adding coconut, macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips for variety. I haven't tried that because I am kind of a purist when it comes to my chocolate chip cookies.

Mom's Chocolate Chip
Cookies

4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. quick oatmeal
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2 c. solid shortening
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 tsp. vanilla
4 lg. eggs
4 c. chocolate morsels
1 1/2 c. walnut or pecan pieces (opt.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, baking soda, and
salt. In another large mixing bowl, beat the shortening, sugars and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate morsels and optional nuts. Drop
cookie dough by round tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and let stand for two minutes. Move the cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Makes 10 dozen cookies.


2 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

sounds yummy I have a hard time switching from my Nieman Marcus ones

rachel said...

looks deeee-lish, i'll have to try them! tomorrow!