What a good time at Bear Lake! It is a beautiful place with the bluest water I've seen in ages.
We began camp by driving to the mouth of Logan Canyon. We stopped at a park there and ate lunch around the little pond. Then the girl's exchanged friendship beads. We had the girls bring beads that "represented" them. As the passed out their beads, they told us why they chose the beads they chose. It was really cute. Scout's beads were plastic gold beads with a crest on it. She chose them because the crest looked like the Slytherin crest from Harry Potter. But when she passed them out she said, " I chose these because they are pretty and plastic, just like me." I laughed so hard! bnlfan_1 chose her pearls because they reminded her of old, traditional things, which is totally her.
Then we drove to Bloomington Canyon in Idaho. We had planned a 3.7 mile hike to the glacier lake up there but our calculations were WAY off. We dropped the girls off and drove up to the lake, planning on walking down to meet them and finish the hike with them. HA! It was almost 6 miles to the .5 mile trail head to the lake. We hurried back down the mountain to pick them up and drive them to the trail head. It was a brutal hike with a 6% grade but they made it about 2.5 miles before we picked them up.
The lake was gorgeous. We saw a mama moose and her baby taking a drink--so cool! There was a 30 foot rope swing at the lake which looked so fun but was a bit dangerous. The first girl to try it let go too early and hit in about 2 feet of water, landing on jagged rocks. I wasn't there yet but was later told the men there thought they would have SERIOUS injuries to deal with. I am convinced it was Heavenly Father protecting her. I told myself I would have tried the swing if I hadn't needed to take the YCL's back to the lodge to set up for the rest of the camp's arrival. Yeah... right! But I will always believe that I would have tried it!
I took the YCL's back to the lodge and checked in. It was a very nice place with 8 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms so there was plenty of room for everyone. The YCL's were so excited to have first pick of the rooms and get cheers ready for the rest of the girls. They really stepped up to the plate when it came to being responsible.
That night the YCL's taught FHE on testimonies. They shared very sweet testimomies and then passed out the Testimony books we had prepared for the girls. The books had Pres. Hinkley's testimony, the Bishop's testimony and the YW's President's testimony printed in it, along with articles on what is a testimony, how to gain a testimony, places to put their testimonies and places for their parents to include their testimonies, thoughts, etc... They were awesome. The girl's went right to work writing in them.
Later that night one of the 4th years girls complained that her foot was hurting her and she couldn't walk on it or wiggle her toes. She is one who NEVER complains so it caused a bit of concern that we needed to take her for x-rays. We had the bishop give her a blessing. She almost immediately fell asleep. After limping for a while the next day, she was fine. Another instance of the Lord watching over us.
The next day was our boating day on Bear Lake. We had 25 girls and 2 boats so there was plenty of time to wake board, ski and tube. The shore was sandy beach so there were lots of sand castles and just mucking around. It was beautiful weather so lots of sunburns, too, despite our best efforts to remind the girls to put on sunscreen.
That night we did theater games (think Who's Line is it Anyway) instead of skits. I thought they were better than skits.
Wednesday morning was a trip to the Minnetonka Caves. They were really cool--literally--but the girls really enjoyed it. Lots of gospel principles were reinforced there. bnlfan_1 is sharing the experience in church today. I will post her talk.
Testimony meeting, the culmination of camp, was that night. It was so great because they "got it". Previous years' testimony meetings turned out more like AA meetings but this year they remembered what a testimony was. The spirit was strong and the girls were happy. I had them light candles and pass them around to illustrate how our testimony builds other's testimonies so we need to share them often.
The last day was clean up day and we were out the door on time and on our way home. No drama, no REAL emergencies, just a great time. YEAH!
We began camp by driving to the mouth of Logan Canyon. We stopped at a park there and ate lunch around the little pond. Then the girl's exchanged friendship beads. We had the girls bring beads that "represented" them. As the passed out their beads, they told us why they chose the beads they chose. It was really cute. Scout's beads were plastic gold beads with a crest on it. She chose them because the crest looked like the Slytherin crest from Harry Potter. But when she passed them out she said, " I chose these because they are pretty and plastic, just like me." I laughed so hard! bnlfan_1 chose her pearls because they reminded her of old, traditional things, which is totally her.
Then we drove to Bloomington Canyon in Idaho. We had planned a 3.7 mile hike to the glacier lake up there but our calculations were WAY off. We dropped the girls off and drove up to the lake, planning on walking down to meet them and finish the hike with them. HA! It was almost 6 miles to the .5 mile trail head to the lake. We hurried back down the mountain to pick them up and drive them to the trail head. It was a brutal hike with a 6% grade but they made it about 2.5 miles before we picked them up.
The lake was gorgeous. We saw a mama moose and her baby taking a drink--so cool! There was a 30 foot rope swing at the lake which looked so fun but was a bit dangerous. The first girl to try it let go too early and hit in about 2 feet of water, landing on jagged rocks. I wasn't there yet but was later told the men there thought they would have SERIOUS injuries to deal with. I am convinced it was Heavenly Father protecting her. I told myself I would have tried the swing if I hadn't needed to take the YCL's back to the lodge to set up for the rest of the camp's arrival. Yeah... right! But I will always believe that I would have tried it!
I took the YCL's back to the lodge and checked in. It was a very nice place with 8 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms so there was plenty of room for everyone. The YCL's were so excited to have first pick of the rooms and get cheers ready for the rest of the girls. They really stepped up to the plate when it came to being responsible.
That night the YCL's taught FHE on testimonies. They shared very sweet testimomies and then passed out the Testimony books we had prepared for the girls. The books had Pres. Hinkley's testimony, the Bishop's testimony and the YW's President's testimony printed in it, along with articles on what is a testimony, how to gain a testimony, places to put their testimonies and places for their parents to include their testimonies, thoughts, etc... They were awesome. The girl's went right to work writing in them.
Later that night one of the 4th years girls complained that her foot was hurting her and she couldn't walk on it or wiggle her toes. She is one who NEVER complains so it caused a bit of concern that we needed to take her for x-rays. We had the bishop give her a blessing. She almost immediately fell asleep. After limping for a while the next day, she was fine. Another instance of the Lord watching over us.
The next day was our boating day on Bear Lake. We had 25 girls and 2 boats so there was plenty of time to wake board, ski and tube. The shore was sandy beach so there were lots of sand castles and just mucking around. It was beautiful weather so lots of sunburns, too, despite our best efforts to remind the girls to put on sunscreen.
That night we did theater games (think Who's Line is it Anyway) instead of skits. I thought they were better than skits.
Wednesday morning was a trip to the Minnetonka Caves. They were really cool--literally--but the girls really enjoyed it. Lots of gospel principles were reinforced there. bnlfan_1 is sharing the experience in church today. I will post her talk.
Testimony meeting, the culmination of camp, was that night. It was so great because they "got it". Previous years' testimony meetings turned out more like AA meetings but this year they remembered what a testimony was. The spirit was strong and the girls were happy. I had them light candles and pass them around to illustrate how our testimony builds other's testimonies so we need to share them often.
The last day was clean up day and we were out the door on time and on our way home. No drama, no REAL emergencies, just a great time. YEAH!




2 comments:
SOunds so wonderful--- worth all the stress I bet I miss it I am glad i can live vicariously through you Iam sure you would havejumped?
Oh how old is sister Bills and what is her name and her hubby's name?
Post a Comment