Saturday, August 25, 2007

Yellowstone, Day 1

We had such a great time in Yellowstone. I just can't begin to write it all. Thanks so much to the Garners for taking us. Their parents (currently on a mission in Holland) have a home in West Yellowstone so we had fabulous accommodations with the best company.

We went to church at the local ward which was kind of funny. The High Councilman asked who was visiting and more than 2/3 of the congregation raised their hands. He said there were more than 1000 in sacrament meeting in Island Park, a ward with about 75 attending members.

After church, we went to Hegben Lake on a drive. It is a huge, gorgeous lake but the winds were high and the sky was dark so it was kind of creepy. I loved it, of course. Right after Hegben is Quake Lake, created after an earthquake in 1959 caused a huge mountain slide which created a dam. The submerged trees are eerie reminders of the campers who were buried under the slide. It is interesting that nothing has grown in the mountain where the slide occurred. It is still barren. We walked around some old cabins on the lake shore that were destroyed during the "tsunami" waves on Hegben Lake.

After exploring there we went back to West Yellowstone and rode 4-wheelers, something my kids hadn't done (okay, me either!) and it was a blast. They decided we need 4-wheelers of our own. I think I agree. Later that night, 4b arrived with Steve.

1 comment:

Joyismygoal said...

Wow, you guys had fun!! I don't think we knew about that kind of fun there, We are boring I want some excitement, no vacation for us this summer:(