Monday, January 21, 2008

I think I jinxed myself

After such a glowing report of our success in Primary last week, I should have known it wouldn't be so great this week. Actually I was prepared for it but I was still pretty disappointed that it didn't go as well as last week.

This week the dynamics were much different. The twins were there and were sweet little boys, not the handful that I was warned about. Then there was another little boy who is SMART! His behavior is strictly because he is bored. But he wasn't bad, either. A third little boy was more of a handful. He didn't grow up coming to church. He comes with his grandparents and he has a very hard time sitting still. But as soon as I moved him next to me, he would shape up. He would look sweetly at me and ask if he could move back by his friends and I told him he could if he was reverent. He would remember for a minute or two and then get wiggly again. But oh! What a difference it was from before!

A few of the kids ran from class to sharing time so I went and rounded them up and marched them back to class. I told them that wasn't the way we went to sharing time so we tried it again. They were much more reverent. Yeah!!!

Sadyly, however, the little boy that we had so much success with last week, had a horrible time. I blame myself to a large extent. We were late to opening exercises (actually we walked in just before they started but for a teacher that is late. I needed to be there before the kids started to arrive) and his dad was sitting with him. He came to class with him, too, which we wouldn't have preferred. He stayed for about 10 minutes and then left but D never recovered. He spent the whole time crying on and off.

These kids need consistency so Dilbert and I will continue to teach them until we are called to teach them or... The Primary President told me she had our names in to be called to teach the class but the bishop told her my name had been submitted in another auxiliary (I happen to know it is Relief Society) and he was having a hard time deciding which calling to extend. She went and got him and brought him into Primary yesterday and showed him the class and said, "See? These kids need them!" He just laughed and shook his head. Whatever THAT means!

No comments: