Sunday, February 3, 2008

Catching Up

More snow today... lots more snow. The snow banks on the sides of the driveway are nearly 6 ft. tall now. There's at least 3 ft. of snow on the ground. It comes to M's eyeballs. She likes to walk into the wall of snow with her tongue out... shudder... It is dirty and full of road salt, I am sure. I hope she survives it. It is snowing again and is supposed to keep snowing all night. Sigh...

We got a new bishop today. I'm excited for the change. The new bishop is going to be great. He is a people person. His two counselors are fun people so I expect a much lighter mood in the ward. Not that the old bishopric was bad, they were just a "by-the-book", serious kind of bishopric and both are necessary for the eternal salvation of the ward...

My cute little primary class was in shambles today with Dilbert gone. Boy, did they miss him! They kept asking to "ride on the bus," a little game he plays with them. I apparently didn't do it justice. The crier wouldn't stop crying today and his dad kept lurking in the halls so when I would take him out, he would just start up again. He needs to stop hovering, I think. The rest of the kids totally get it. They are reverent, respectful and willing. Crier disrupts everything. It makes me think a lot about the well-being of the whole vs. the one. Should I take him to his dad as soon as he starts acting up so the rest of the class doesn't suffer or do I stick it out and help him learn proper primary behavior?

We had pancakes for dinner since Dilbert is gone. Without him here I have a hard time motivating myself to fix something healthy. Have I ever posted the pancake recipe? If not, here it is... It is absolutely the BEST pancakes I have ever had.

Pancakes
2 1/2 c buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 c oil
2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Combine, stirring until moist. Don't over-mix. My kids insist on adding a handful of chocolate chips. I like them straight up. I have been adding a smashed ripe banana lately which is also very delicious.

After dinner I worked on book fair for a while since it starts tomorrow. I haven't even arranged for volunteers. I must be getting burned out on it. After that, N, Scout and I watched "The Waitress." I enjoyed it but recommend it with the understanding that the content, at times, deserved the pg-13 rating. It is a comedy, btw.

I was letting a batch of cinnamon rolls raise while we watched. I figured it was a snow day so what else should I do than crank up the oven and fill the house with delicious smells! I made enough to take hot rolls to the ex-bishop, the new counselor (our old home teacher), a recently returned missionary and his friends building a snow cave in their driveway's bank, the family whose Dad has been in and out of the hospital for the last 3 months, two families who have helped with our snow removal in the past few days, and last, but not least, the non-member family across the street. Very productive day! My roll recipe is pretty easy... It is my dinner roll recipe (do I need to post that?), rolled into a rectangle and buttered, with equal amounts of white and brown sugar and cinnamon sprinkled over it. Then I roll it into a log and cut it with dental floss. Let 'em rise, then cook for 10 minutes at 350 (convection), then frost with cream cheese frosting. It is the frosting that makes them so good. I use a cube of cream cheese, a cube of butter, 1 t vanilla and 1 lb of powdered sugar. It is heaven. I made lots of good neighbor points today! That's good because I need a lot.

If I have time tomorrow, I will write about my cute nephew's baptism and our subsequent trip to Provo to deliver THE SCARF. I hope Frank Zigmunt will take a picture of it for me. I've misplaced my camera. I remember putting it somewhere really safe so the kids wouldn't keep walking off with it but now I have no idea where that was. I have checked all the places I can think of. Well, wherever it is, it is safe, for sure! It may be a while before I get to the post, though, since I will be gone to the book fair from sun up to sun down. I love it but it is a hard week for the family. I am gone all the time and the house goes to shambles. No laundry gets done, no food gets purchased or cooked... Pitiful, isn't it!

1 comment:

Joyismygoal said...

hangin there I bet the Camera is in a laundry basket:>