I just spent the morning doing a "make and take meals" enrichment group. We made 6 meals each, for $60 per person. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Whee! Now I am enjoying the quiet and a crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich. Heaven!
Dilbert is on his way to Wichita. It is cold and windy there right now-- a whole whopping 4 degrees with the wind chill. Makes me glad to be here. We have a whopper of a storm coming, though. I'm scared because I have to do all the shoveling this time.
Tonight is the I-Search fair where everyone shows their History Fair or Science Fair projects. I'm sad Dilbert has to miss it. It is one of his favorite school activities, if there is such a thing as a favorite...
Last night we had Fastest Chicken and Biscuits (it is NOT healthy but I tried!)
2 T olive oil
3 T butter
10 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
1/2 onion chopped
3 thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
4 T flour
1 qt. chicken stock
1 c fat-free half-and-half
1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed from bone and chopped
dash of nutmeg
refrigerator biscuits
Bake biscuits according to package directions. While they are baking, melt butter and olive oil in a skillet. Add mushroom and toss until they're golden brown and slightly crispy ( about 5-6 minutes). Add in garlic and toast slightly. Add onions, thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes until the onions are tender.
Sprinkle flour over veggies and cook for about a minutes. Gently whisk in the chicken stock and half-and-half and bring to a bubble. Allow to simmer while it thickens, stirring frequently.
Stir in chopped chicken and nutmeg. Simmer about a minute more to heat the chicken through.
To serve, ladle the finished gravy over cooked refrigerator biscuits.
I also added a bag of mixed vegetables to the gravy to healthy it up.
Dilbert is on his way to Wichita. It is cold and windy there right now-- a whole whopping 4 degrees with the wind chill. Makes me glad to be here. We have a whopper of a storm coming, though. I'm scared because I have to do all the shoveling this time.
Tonight is the I-Search fair where everyone shows their History Fair or Science Fair projects. I'm sad Dilbert has to miss it. It is one of his favorite school activities, if there is such a thing as a favorite...
Last night we had Fastest Chicken and Biscuits (it is NOT healthy but I tried!)
2 T olive oil
3 T butter
10 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
1/2 onion chopped
3 thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
4 T flour
1 qt. chicken stock
1 c fat-free half-and-half
1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed from bone and chopped
dash of nutmeg
refrigerator biscuits
Bake biscuits according to package directions. While they are baking, melt butter and olive oil in a skillet. Add mushroom and toss until they're golden brown and slightly crispy ( about 5-6 minutes). Add in garlic and toast slightly. Add onions, thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes until the onions are tender.
Sprinkle flour over veggies and cook for about a minutes. Gently whisk in the chicken stock and half-and-half and bring to a bubble. Allow to simmer while it thickens, stirring frequently.
Stir in chopped chicken and nutmeg. Simmer about a minute more to heat the chicken through.
To serve, ladle the finished gravy over cooked refrigerator biscuits.
I also added a bag of mixed vegetables to the gravy to healthy it up.




No comments:
Post a Comment