Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Monday--The Afterparty

I went to lunch with my Mom and all my sisters and a bunch of the older nieces. It was so fun to have them all together! We went to this delicious Vietnamese restaurant here in town. I had Pho, a soup dish I had not tried before. Yumm! It was a steaming bowl of soup with vermicelli noodles and strips of brisket. It came with a plate of fresh bean sprouts hot peppers and basil that you dropped into the broth. The heat of the broth cooked them slightly... Delicious!


After that my two wonderful sisters-in-law came back to the house where we gathered the kids up and took them to a sledding hill down the street. They were so funny sledding in pairs, just flying down the hill, screaming at the top of their lungs. It didn't take long for them to get tired and cold, but it was fun. Everyone went except Scout who is battling a horrible cold. See in the picture, the leg in the air. It was that kind of ride.

We got back home in time to warm up and then we headed up to Moms for dinner. We had "Cafe Rio" salads. I tried making home made tortillas which turned out really good. I finally got a recipe I could handle from Joy Is My Goal's husband. By the end of the recipe, I was able to make some--and I use that word carefully--that looked and tasted as good as the raw ones we got from Costco. That's sad, isn't it! That my goal was to have them as good as the store's! They were certainly more work than the stores, but cheaper .

I was so disappointed that I didn't get to learn how to make corn tortillas! I have a wonderful nephew-in-law who is a pro at it. I had called my mom to make sure she had corn meal and she said she did but when we got there, she had about a 1/3 cup of it so it wasn't enough to give it a try. He told me what to do, though, so I will try it on my own. If it doesn't work, though, I will arrange for a private lesson.

We had a good time visiting with each other. I was sad Dilbert wasn't able to be there but the food was good and the company was better. We stumbled home after 8 p.m. and hurried to bed. It was a good President's Day.

2 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Did you just say the company was better because Dilbert wasn't there?

I am glad you had success what a FUN day

Shauna6pack said...

No, I didn't. I made sure I didn't. The food was good and the company was better than the food. Don't read anything into it! Sheesh!