Dilbert came home late Friday--hurray! He had been gone for 9 days--too long! Unfortunately it was for only a day--just long enough to wash his laundry and repack his bags. He is so tired and fighting a cold. At least he is better than he was. Working nights in an airplane hanger isn't good for the constitution.
Saturday we wished a Happy Birthday to BNLFan_1! Sweet 16! I hope it was a good day for her... We took her breakfast in bed. I think she would have preferred it to have been lunch in bed, but oh well! We went shopping for a new bow for her cello. That's what she asked for so I was going to do my best. We went to two fancy places in SLC where they basically laughed at my budget. But we got lots of good advice on bows there. BNLFan decided she wants to be a crazy bow maker with an "olde shoppe" where she can wear moth-eaten sweaters, stain her fingers with rosin and speak in a heavy German accent. I wish her well.
We ended up at Summerhays where we found the same bow we had tried at the first fancy place, but for a lot less. The German guy makes them and sells them for $440. Summerhays buys them from the German guy and sells the same bow for $230. While we were there, I had BNLFan try some of the cellos there. They sounded so pretty... When we had narrowed the choices of bows down to two, we got her cello out of the car and tried the bows on it. It sounded so thin and hollow compared to the cellos she had been playing. On a whim I asked the sales gal about their trade-in policy. She said since we had originally bought BNLFan's cello there, they would basically give me 100% of my purchase price towards a new cello. The difference was minimal so we left Summerhays with a new bow AND cello. Now THAT's a good birthday present. When we finally got home, BNLFan, Scout, H and M went to the stake baptisms. BNLFan and Scout did a cello duet (Love One Another) with me on the piano. What an amazing feeling that was! To have my two beautiful teen-age daughters playing lovely music together... It makes me truly grateful for being blessed with children who love music and love each other and are willing to serve.
I had my very talented and wonderful friend (who happens to share a birthday with BNLFan) make her a birthday cake. I will post a picture of it as soon as I get un-lazy and walk upstairs to get the camera. My camera is still MIA but I have confiscated Scout's and took a few pictures. Here's a link to Allison's website. I am amazed at what she has been able to create. And they taste heavenly, too!
As I was leaving Summerhays, I got a call from my best-est friend, joyismygoal. Another good friend (from TX) lost her son Friday night. There was an altercation over loud music at a party and he was shot and killed. This friend has had so much heartache in her life; my soul just aches for her and her family. My prayers are with them.
I took Dilbert and dropped him off at his parent's home before church yesterday. I had to be there for my CTR class AND it was ward conference so I was supposed to be there as stake Primary music leader, as well. More than anything I just wanted to be with Dilbert but we figured it was only for a few minutes anyway since his ride to the airport was coming at 9 a.m. Still--
The CTR kids missed him again. I am boring compared to him. He takes them on imaginary bus rides and I teach boring lessons. Sigh... They were trying so hard to be reverent but it just wasn't in the cards. Only one of the Stake PP showed up. I felt kind of bad about that.
BNLFan had an interview with our new bishop after church. I guess she passed? As we were leaving, I asked him about how to start Frank Zigmunt's mission papers. I've never done it before so I am clueless. The good news is so is the new bishop so I didn't feel as stupid as I would have. I can't believe he puts in his papers in one month. Two things come to mind... first, my baby is going on a mission! I wont see him for two years! He will come back a changed man... Nothing will be the same again (here's where it gets sappy, right?). But I also realize I am OLD. Decrepit. Ancient. Antediluvian. Archaic. Timeworn. Advanced. Elderly. Senior. And my personal favorite... Hoary. Yup. I have a talent for putting things in perspective. It's all about me.
Dilbert's parents stopped by to bring BNLFan her birthday card (and $$). They were very patient and stayed for a recital of cellos, piano and voice. For the next week we have two cellos here (the new cello is on loan pending "teacher approval") so BNLFan and Scout have been playing duets all weekend. It is solo and ensemble festival time so they have been working on their ensembles. What fun it has been!
I have been enjoying Masterpiece Theater the past month or so. They are showing "The Complete Jane Austen". They have re-made some of her books into 90 minute movies and are showing A&E versions of others (yes, they are showing the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice because it is the consummate version--it is practically perfect!). Check it out, if you have time. It is on Sunday nights at 8 here in Utah.
Saturday we wished a Happy Birthday to BNLFan_1! Sweet 16! I hope it was a good day for her... We took her breakfast in bed. I think she would have preferred it to have been lunch in bed, but oh well! We went shopping for a new bow for her cello. That's what she asked for so I was going to do my best. We went to two fancy places in SLC where they basically laughed at my budget. But we got lots of good advice on bows there. BNLFan decided she wants to be a crazy bow maker with an "olde shoppe" where she can wear moth-eaten sweaters, stain her fingers with rosin and speak in a heavy German accent. I wish her well.
We ended up at Summerhays where we found the same bow we had tried at the first fancy place, but for a lot less. The German guy makes them and sells them for $440. Summerhays buys them from the German guy and sells the same bow for $230. While we were there, I had BNLFan try some of the cellos there. They sounded so pretty... When we had narrowed the choices of bows down to two, we got her cello out of the car and tried the bows on it. It sounded so thin and hollow compared to the cellos she had been playing. On a whim I asked the sales gal about their trade-in policy. She said since we had originally bought BNLFan's cello there, they would basically give me 100% of my purchase price towards a new cello. The difference was minimal so we left Summerhays with a new bow AND cello. Now THAT's a good birthday present. When we finally got home, BNLFan, Scout, H and M went to the stake baptisms. BNLFan and Scout did a cello duet (Love One Another) with me on the piano. What an amazing feeling that was! To have my two beautiful teen-age daughters playing lovely music together... It makes me truly grateful for being blessed with children who love music and love each other and are willing to serve.
I had my very talented and wonderful friend (who happens to share a birthday with BNLFan) make her a birthday cake. I will post a picture of it as soon as I get un-lazy and walk upstairs to get the camera. My camera is still MIA but I have confiscated Scout's and took a few pictures. Here's a link to Allison's website. I am amazed at what she has been able to create. And they taste heavenly, too!
As I was leaving Summerhays, I got a call from my best-est friend, joyismygoal. Another good friend (from TX) lost her son Friday night. There was an altercation over loud music at a party and he was shot and killed. This friend has had so much heartache in her life; my soul just aches for her and her family. My prayers are with them.
I took Dilbert and dropped him off at his parent's home before church yesterday. I had to be there for my CTR class AND it was ward conference so I was supposed to be there as stake Primary music leader, as well. More than anything I just wanted to be with Dilbert but we figured it was only for a few minutes anyway since his ride to the airport was coming at 9 a.m. Still--
The CTR kids missed him again. I am boring compared to him. He takes them on imaginary bus rides and I teach boring lessons. Sigh... They were trying so hard to be reverent but it just wasn't in the cards. Only one of the Stake PP showed up. I felt kind of bad about that.
BNLFan had an interview with our new bishop after church. I guess she passed? As we were leaving, I asked him about how to start Frank Zigmunt's mission papers. I've never done it before so I am clueless. The good news is so is the new bishop so I didn't feel as stupid as I would have. I can't believe he puts in his papers in one month. Two things come to mind... first, my baby is going on a mission! I wont see him for two years! He will come back a changed man... Nothing will be the same again (here's where it gets sappy, right?). But I also realize I am OLD. Decrepit. Ancient. Antediluvian. Archaic. Timeworn. Advanced. Elderly. Senior. And my personal favorite... Hoary. Yup. I have a talent for putting things in perspective. It's all about me.
Dilbert's parents stopped by to bring BNLFan her birthday card (and $$). They were very patient and stayed for a recital of cellos, piano and voice. For the next week we have two cellos here (the new cello is on loan pending "teacher approval") so BNLFan and Scout have been playing duets all weekend. It is solo and ensemble festival time so they have been working on their ensembles. What fun it has been!
I have been enjoying Masterpiece Theater the past month or so. They are showing "The Complete Jane Austen". They have re-made some of her books into 90 minute movies and are showing A&E versions of others (yes, they are showing the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice because it is the consummate version--it is practically perfect!). Check it out, if you have time. It is on Sunday nights at 8 here in Utah.




1 comment:
Yes, the A&E Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice is the best! My mom thinks the old one (probably the one with Laurence Olivier) is better, but she hasn't seen the A&E version all the way through yet. I am jealous of your girls playing the cello - my brother is a beautiful cellist and Maren started to learn it at one time (so did Micah), but they never continued. Too bad I didn't learn it instead of the violin, which I can't hold very well anymore because of my neck...
By the way, if you are "OLD. Decrepit. Ancient. Antediluvian. Archaic. Timeworn. Advanced. Elderly. Senior." then I must have one foot in the grave and the other slipping in, because I have quite a few years on you! Ha!
Also, I think you are amazing - you accomplish so much and I just plod along. Where do you get all your energy and drive?
Post a Comment