Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice
(thank you, toomanytocount, for inspiring me today!)
Thought for today: Which do you prefer?

A

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/focus_features/pride_and_prejudice/matthew_macfadyen/pride.jpg or
http://aplacetowriteaboutthethingsthatticklemyfancy.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/colin-firth-002-img.jpg

or C, D, or E or F

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2003/oct/28big2.jpg

The image “http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0366920/darcylook.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Pride & Prejudice
http://www.jimandellen.org/ellen/79PP1Darcy1.jpg

Bonus points if you can tell me what versions each of these Mr. Darcy's came from.

And lastly, for all you who categorize yourselves as complete Austen nuts, Mr. Darcy has also been played by David Rintoul in 1980 on the BBC

http://daphne.blogs.com/books/images/2007/03/13/pp1_1.jpg
Lewis Fiander in the 1967 BBC version
pride68.jpg (534970 bytes)
Alan Badel in the 1958 BBC version
pride58.jpg (686319 bytes)

Peter Cushing in the 1952 BBC version
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Peter_Cushing.jpg
and John Baragrey in the 1949 NBC Philco Television Playhouse version
Madge Evans.jpg (878555 bytes)

2 comments:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

I think I prefer Colin Firth (B)as Mr. Darcy, although I remember liking the version with Laurence Olivier (E)when I was younger. I also like the new guy (A) some of the time, but I didn't really like the movie as much as the one with Colin Firth. I don't think I have seen any of the other older versions, but I got a kick out of the Indian one (C? - Bride and Prejudice?). I didn't really like the LDS version much (was that D by any chance?) How about you? Which one do you prefer?

Shauna6pack said...

I liked them all, to be honest, but Colin Firth is my favorite. Bride and Prejudice was hysterical. We got take-out Indian food and sat on the floor, eating curried lamb with our fingers. The A&E version (Colin Firth) is the quintessential version because it is so faithful to the book. It will always be my favorite because of that. The others are fair but can't live up to A&E. I didn't LOVE the LDS version but I thought Darcy was pretty cute in it. There's just something about the character of Darcy. I guess that's why Jane Austen never married. She couldn't find her Darcy--but who could?